Okra is a very nutritious and healthy, it can be eaten in different ways from making it into a soup, roasted and ground into a caffeine- free substitute for coffee etc. Okra made in the Nigerian way is super delicious; I wrote a post previously about Ila Asepo. This version of Okra soup I’m making today is made with Chicken and we eat it a lot in my house, it is a native soup of my people ( the Kilba people from Adamawa state), this recipe doesn’t require Oil [because the Chicken already has oil)]. You also do not need Crayfish and locust Beans (Iru). It is also made very light with chopped Okra hence appearing like Pepper soup, hence needs a reasonable amount of Pepper and little Okra. Chicken is what completes this soup but you can use any Meat of choice. Continue reading to see this super easy and yummy recipe.
- 700g of Chicken
- ½ cup of Scotch Bonnet ( You can reduce to your tolerance)
- Half Onion
- 4 Knorr chicken cubes
- 1 tablespoon of Curry and Thyme each for boiling the Chicken
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil for frying the Chicken (optional)
- 15- 20 Okra
HOW TO PREPARE
Blend Scotch Bonnets, Chop Onion and Okra and set aside
- Season Chicken with Knorr cubes, salt, curry and thyme and boil until soft, set the chicken stock aside
- Fry the cooked Chicken lightly and set aside (optional)
- Add in one cup of water into the Chicken stock, blended pepper and Onion and allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Now add in fried Chicken and Okra, stir and allow to cook, adjust seasoning if necessary. [Usually you do not need to add seasoning because the chicken stock is already seasoned]
The oil in the Chicken is already popping
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes and turn off the heat
- Our Kilba Okra soup is ready
Serve with any swallow of choice, Pounded Yam, Tuwo, Semovita. I prefer mine with Tuwon Shinkafa though, Enjoy!
This is super easy and healthy and the ingredients are easy to find, do try it out and give me a feedback. Thanks for stopping by, see you soon guys…